Doula: a trained professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to a mother before, during and shortly after childbirth to help her achieve the healthiest, most satisfying experience possible. - DONA International
A woman who serves birthing families. As a doula, I provide continuous emotional and physical support for the birthing person (the client) and their partner. Through prenatal appointments, I provide resources throughout pregnancy and help the client prepare for their upcoming birth.
- Emotional, physical and educational support during pregnancy, birth and postpartum.
- Upon contract signing, email/text/phone support during normal business hours (or after hours in unusual circumstances).
- A suggested minimum of 2 prenatal and 1 postpartum visits (approximately 1.5 hrs. each) to get to know your unique preferences and vision for this labor and postpartum period. You decide on how many visits you'd like and how/where they take place.
- On-call and reachable 24/7 between 38 - 42 weeks.
- Help writing and or reviewing a birth plan and preferences.
- During your birth I provide continuous support as defined as:
- Facilitation of your birth vision, including but not limited to comfort measures such as breathing, relaxation, movement, positioning, and comforts the client with the use of touch, hot or cold packs, beverages, warm baths and showers, and other comforting gestures as wanted or needed.
- Setting the room with lights, music, scents or anything else that feels supportive to the client.
- Working with your partner (if applicable) to establish and maintain a peaceful and positive environment.
- Working with the staff and providers to establish a good rapport and to ensure that you have enough information to make informed decisions about your care.
- Assists you and your partner to become informed about the course of labor and the options. Doulas are well-versed in non medical skills.
- I will arrive and begin support within 2 hours of your phone call requesting my presence. Support will be continuous. I will inform you of any foreseeable times when I might be unavailable for labor support.
- After birth I will remain with you for an hour or so after the birth, until you are comfortable and ready for quiet time with loved ones. I will help you create the environment you want for those first few critical hours of bonding with your new family. I will schedule your postpartum visit in the week or two following your birth to see how you and your family are adjusting, assist with any issues, and listen to your birth story. Taking the time to process the joyful, difficult, miraculous and messy moments from the birth.
- Postpartum resources and referrals to professional local practitioners.